With an autumn as gray and we as this one, especilly on a weekend, grilled cheese and soup is just the ticket for cozy comfort on a rainy day.
Grilled cheese is one of my favorites, but it can we, well, boring. This grilled cheese recipe uses simple ingredients to create a flavorful, delicious version of this ultimate comfort food!
Grammy Pammy’s Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices artisan or Farm bread (I used Pumpernickel swirl)
- 3 or 4 oz. Gruyere cheese, sliced thinly or grated
- 3 or 4 oz. smoked Gouda cheese, sliced thinly or grated
- 4 oz. sweet peppers, washed, seeds removed and thinly sliced into rounds
- Seedless Raspberry Jam and Prune or Plum Puree (I prefer Smuckers Seedless Raspberry Jam and Beech Nut prune puree babyfood.)
- Salt & Pepper
Grate the cheeses, mix them up and set aside.
In a small bowl, put 2 Tbls. of raspberry jam, and 2 Tbls. of prune or plum puree. Stir together and set aside.
Wash and dry sweet peppers; remove ends and scoop out seeds (I just scooped out with a paring knife). Slice thinly into rounds.
Heat a little olive oil in a small/medium pan over med/high heat. (I used non-stick, but I also really like my little cast iron skillet…everyone should have one in their kitchen – just make sure yours is seasoned). Saute for 3-5 minutes or till soft. Remove from heat, add salt and pepper, and put in a small bowl.
Put 2 slices of bread on a flat surface; divide puree between them and spread. Divide sauteed peppers and grated cheese between both slices, salt and pepper if desired. Top with remaining bread slices.
Reheat skilled on med/high heat with a little more olive oil. Add sandwiches and loosely cover pan with cover or tinfoil. Heat for 3-5 minutes each side until browned and cheese is nicely melted.